Build a skill. Save a life.
Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes:
- Accident prevention
- Lifeguarding techniques
- Emergency systems
- Rescue skills
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid
Upon successful completion of the course, each participant will be certified in:
- YMCA Lifeguarding
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Basic First Aid and Oxygen Administration
- Age 16 and older
- Swim 100 meters front crawl
- Tread water for 2 minutes, and then swim 250 meters with the following strokes: 50 meters front crawl head up; 50 meters breaststroke; 50 meters breaststroke head up; 50 meters sidestroke; 50 meters breaststroke kick on back hands on stomach.
- Swim 20 meters sprint, dive to bottom pickup ring and tread for 1 minute no hands; Replace ring, climb out of pool, listen to the instructors directions and complete requested tasks.
In addition, before the start of the second class participants must complete four online assignments. If you feel you cannot meet the prerequisite requirements, you are welcome to contact the aquatic director at your local YMCA family center for an appointment to review your skills.
- Attend 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Participate 100% in all class sessions
- Pass written and skills tests
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill tests
Certification confirmation documents will be sent to participant 4 to 6 weeks after successfully completing the course. Successful completion of the course does not guarantee an employment offer, but the Y often has open lifeguard positions.
Lifeguard Training & Certification
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard or swim instructor, YMCA Swim Instructor and Lifeguard Certification Trainings are the best way to get started! Through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work in the aquatics field.
Swim Instructor Training
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a swim instructor, YMCA Swim Instructor and Lifeguard Certification Trainings are the best way to get started! Through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work in the aquatics field.
This program is a certification renewal course for someone who currently holds ASHI CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification. Skills taught and evaluated include: basic first aid, removal of contaminated gloves, primary assessment for an unresponsive person, primary assessment for a responsive person, controlling severe bleeding, stabilizing a suspected head, neck or back injury and stabilizing a swollen painful deformed limb. To recertify, participants must pass with a score of 80% of better.